Monday, September 11, 2006

The UK's oldest road - Hackpen Hill to Barbury Castle Hill Fort

I'm fascinated by history. I'd really wished I'd been born in an earlier age.... Roman Britain... I would loved to have been part of that time... no Internet access then though... (!)

Myself and Helen have been aiming to get a part of the Ridgeway Path under our belts since we moved to Wiltshire.

Its a 5000 year old ancient road. To know where I am walking was in use so long ago leaves me in awe and respect.

















I like some photos in black and white. This image in colour had the sky burnt out so I've desaturated the photo in an attempt to give it a timeless look. A shame the stile is a modern steel one that blights the landscape!















Looking back towards Overton Hill, I believe the start of the Ridgeway. In ancient times the path would have reached down as far as the Dorset coast.

The bales add something to an otherwise average photo.















Barbury Castle Hill Fort - an ancient Iron Age fort - there seems to be quite a few of these in this area.

Up high with commanding views this area became a place of sanctuary during problematic times. In AD 556 there was a major battle here between Celts (the locals) and Saxons (the invaders). The Saxons won.

An impressive 360 degree ditch system to help hinder attackers, though it did not stop the Saxons so it seems.




















Nowadays the hilltop fort is more popular with people kiting, walking and mountain biking. It really is a peaceful area away from the hustle and bustle of everyone else down below.

The defences and ditches would have been a lot higher and deeper back in ancient times. In the green field on the right of the photo would have once stood the fort's wooden buildings.

I'd love to see an Iron Age village/wooden fort replica built here. It would give visitors a real sense of what it would have been like to live here thousands of years ago.

Well I think it's a good idea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home